Zucchini and squash are the gifts of summer – and indeed they are now in abundance! Zucchini and squash are one of the fastest growing and most productive summer veggies, making them great for beginner and experienced gardeners alike. If you haven’t planted any yet, it’s not too late, pop some in the garden now!
A friend of ours passed on a recipe for zucchini slice – and it was so delicious we just had to share it with you!
Ingredients (serves 4-6 people):
- 2 large zucchini, grated
- 4 carrots, grated
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1 and a 1/2 cups of grated cheese (if you have a dairy allergy, you can just leave the cheese out - they still taste great and hold together well)
- 7 eggs, lightly beaten (if you're short on eggs, we have had success using just 5 rather than 7)
- 1 cup self raising flour
- salt and pepper to season
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
- Place in large baking tray or slice/cake tin (we used a 23cm square silicon baking tray that’s 4cm deep). Alternatively, you can use a muffin tin to create zucchini muffins
- Bake at 180 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown on top (if you cook them in a muffin tin, they will cook quicker - in around 25-35 mins)
What’s your favourite way to use zucchini and summer squash?